As a worker co-operative, ethics are at the core of who we are. We support the seven principles of the international co-operative movement and, in particular, work towards sustainable community development.
We actively choose to work and form relationships with organisations that:
- promote and campaign for positive social change (for example co-operatives, charities, housing associations, social enterprises and community groups);
- have sound ethical, environmental and equality policies; and
- promote ecological sustainability.
We will not work with organisations:
- whose services or products are harmful, for example alcohol or tobacco manufacturers;
- that contravene human rights;
- that exploit their workforce;
- with military, arms sales or similar connections; and
- who we believe discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality, disability, age or religion.
Most organisations these days have an environmental policy. We’ve had one since we were formed more than 25 years ago. What’s more, our staff actively promote it through a genuine will to make a difference.
We source 100% renewable electricity from Good Energy and regularly audit our energy consumption. We minimise energy use by insulating our building and ensuring our equipment uses carbon-neutral materials. We also use excess warmth from our hot server room to heat our offices.
City Couriers are our preferred courier. They have a strong commitment to minimising their environmental impact and only use bike couriers and gas or electric-powered vans.
We travel to work on foot, bike or public transport and, if we need to move equipment, we’ll hire transport from City Car Club. We also source print materials from local organisations, reducing our transport impact.
We recycle as much as we can — in fact, our efforts won us a Keep Edinburgh Clean Gold Award from City of Edinburgh Council. On average, less than one bin bag a week goes from our offices into landfill. Printer cartridges, paper, envelopes, bottles, cardboard and food waste is all collected by Changeworks or recycled elsewhere.
We’re experts at sourcing recycled print materials. We use recycled paper and stationery whenever we can and our catering, cleaning materials and toiletries (delivered in bulk twice a year to reduce environmental impact) come from GreenCity Wholefoods.